This weekend, Kinsey and I were able to attend general conference. We drove up to SLC on Friday night after our classes and work. We were invited to stay at my grandpa's apartment where my parents were staying as well. They live right down the street from the temple. We went out to dinner Friday night with my parents and grandparents. We had sushi. It was delicious. Saturday morning and afternoon, we were able to attend conference. Being there was a delight. I love being surrounded by thousands of people all with the same beliefs. The spirit can be felt even stronger in large numbers. I thoroughly enjoyed the talks. Last conference, I remember, I had such a busy week leading up to it that I slept through most talks. Thankfully that was not the case this year. Not only were the talks enjoyable, I loved being with my parents. I don't get to see them very often because they live in Chicago. They always fly out here for general conference though. My dad is an area seventy so he came out a few days early this conference for meetings. Something surprising happened during the afternoon session of conference. My dad told me to listen while President Uchtdorf announced the newly called area seventies. As I listened, I heard the name Allen Haynie. This is the name of Kinsey's uncle. That announcement was exciting for us all. I enjoyed looking at Kinsey's face as she tried to understand what was going on with her uncle's new calling. You could see the bewilderment on her face.
Saturday night, my dad and I attended priesthood with my good friend and cousin Preston. The main thing that we got from that session was the importance of taking advantage of priesthood privileges and getting married. Once again, I enjoyed watching my single cousin Preston squirm as the Prophet chastised the single men for not doing more to find their eternal mate. After the session, I planned on doing homework. However, much to my wife and my dismay, my grandpa doesn't have wifi. We both needed the internet to do our homework. We ended up going to the movie Adjusment Bureau.
Sunday morning, Kinsey and I decided to sleep a little longer and forgo attending the Sunday morning session in the conference center. This was wise considering how tired we were. Sunday afternoon, we attended the session again. I love hearing the prophet speak. He is so wise. You can feel his love whenever he speaks. All in all, the conference was very uplifting and edifying.
How awesome that Allen was called as an area seventy. I swear I was listening and I didn't hear that, so I'm so excited that I read your blog! Way cool. He's an awesome guy!
ReplyDeleteLove you guys.
It was a lot of fun but we gotta get your grandpa wifi:) I love you!
ReplyDelete