Sunday, January 30, 2011
Church: Home teaching and Visiting Teaching
I know the church is true. I know that the church is led by direct revelation from God through a prophet on the earth. I just wanted to blog about my feelings regarding some of the programs of the church and their design. This post is in no way designed to "bad talk" our church leaders who I sustain and respect. I simply wish to write about a few suggestions I have. First, I would like to discuss my feelings regarding the home teaching and visiting teaching programs of the church. I understand the purpose of them. I understand the purpose of promoting brother and sisterhood in the church. I understand that these programs are designed to ensure that all members can partake in the blessings of being a part of our church. The programs allow members to teach one another the doctrine of the kingdom. They allow members to have stewardship over one another. They allow members to help sustain the bishop and let him know how each member is doing. I believe if the programs are run effectively that they do indeed fulfill their purpose. However, I think the programs could be more convenient for the members. Many times the programs are a hassle for the companionships that go the people they visit. Schedules are difficult to coordinate. I believe that it would be far easier for companionships to consist of husband and wife rather than being randomly assigned. Those that are not married can be paired with others who are not married and form companionships. That solves the scheduling problem. Home and visiting teaching becomes a chore to people because every month starts with, "hey let's get out there and visit our families early in the month" and the month ends with, "alright everyone, it's the end of the month, we need to visit our families before me miss the chance." The sounds like a chore to me. I think it would be better if we print up each month every family in the ward and have people who are willing to sign up to visit or do something for family each week. It would allow those people who have more time a specific week to visit a family when they can. People that know they would prefer not to be visited a specific week, they can take themselves off the list. Of course, those people that sign up would contact the families they signed up for and coordinate with them what they were going to do and when. I think that we could also make a list of possible things that could be done with families in the ward. Another thing I would enjoy is 2 hour meetings. An hour for sacrament and every week we switch off going to sunday school or priesthood/relief society meetings. After two hours of church, most members are dragging. Looking at the clock becomes second nature. It is hard to feel the spirit when your stomach is growling and you are in a crowded room often listening to only one person speak. If only I knew an apostle with whom I could share my suggestion. Well, it is Sunday right now. You can imagine why my post is about church. Church felt abnormally long today. Luckily it's all true.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment