Friday, January 21, 2011

Intramurals

We put together another intramural team to see if we can win another championship. However, as you know, basketball is quite different than flag football. I think it takes a lot more talent to play basketball. You need to make many more plays to put together wins. We have roughly the same people on our basketball team as we did on our football team. We are in the lowest division because it would be nice to win a regular season game or two. Sadly, our first game wasn't one of our team wins. Originally I did not think we would even have enough people to play the game, so I added a few more guys to the roster. We ended up having ten guys show up. I had just come from eating out with Preston, Dave, Brock, (friends from freshman year) and Kinsey. The occasion was Preston's birthday. I was stuffed from all the pizza I ate. Preston is the captain of our basketball team. Usually before games, the officials call the captains out for a pre-game. Preston was a bit late so I went out and represented our team. I knew one of the officials pretty well and I knew the other official was new to basketball. I trained with her. She told me that she did not know what constitutes a foul. I was not too nervous as the game started. However, I quickly realized fouls were hardly being called at all. I tried to foul once to bring in substitutes to no avail. We started to get fouled harder and harder. I had told the other team in the pre-game that I could care less who won, that I was just there to have fun. They were big weenies tho. I was defending the horrible officiating to our team until I got jacked by 3 players at the same time. I got bent backwards and nailed in the face. I came up with a swollen black eye. I was furious. Amazingly a foul did get called, so I shot my free throws and checked myself out of the game. We eventually lost. Our whole team was pretty frustrated with the officiating. It is hard to have fun when we were getting fouled so hard. Hopefully next game will be better.

3 comments:

  1. The black eye looks worse in person...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain! I have had a few of those. One of them was last fall and it ended up costing me a torn ACL in my left knee. I had surgery in the middle of October. In fact, my last blog post was about my knee surgery.

    ReplyDelete