Sunday, February 13, 2011

"Buy a stranger a coke"

On Wednesday, we received this assignment from our Business Writing 320 class. Our assignment was to "buy a stranger a coke." The professor told us that in the South when someone asked for a coke it meant any kind of drink not necessary a coke. Likewise, we would be able to buy a stranger anything and that we should blog about it. Since I am married, I figured this wouldn't be an opportunity to meet girls like it could be for other guys. I decided to try to do something "good" rather something funny. I already know that buying a stranger something can be a potentially very awkward situation that would be a funny to read about on a blog. However, this weekend I was not in the mood for something too awkward to happen so I decided to find a homeless person and give him a Capri Sun and a Powerbar. I always see homeless people standing near the outside of Smith's grocery store. They are typically at the end of the parking lot. I have been much more aware of them since serving at the Provo Soup Kitchen recently. On Friday I only saw one man out there. I have seen him in the past around Provo. He always wears a camouflage jacket. When I approached him, he seemed to want to disappear. I felt like he was thinking, "Why would this guy come over towards me? What did I do?" Walking over to him felt like an eternity. When I finally was close enough, I extended my hand offering him a Capri Sun and a Powerbar. He was hesitant in accepting them, but did so. He did not say a word. I said, "Have a good day" and I was on my way. I know this is probably not the kind of blog that my professor was looking for but I felt good about giving that homeless man something that will lighten his day.

No comments:

Post a Comment